Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 14

    Queenstown - Glenorchy - Te Anau

    January 26, 2023 in New Zealand ⋅ ☀️ 24 °C

    Sleep can feel sooooo good!
    Once I was able to think straight again, I headed out to enjoy breakfast in the sun and stroll through Queenstown incl. it’s Gardens. Not much time for this tiny and cute city (thanks again, Jetstar) - but I wanted to head up to the head of the lake (Lake Wakatipu), Glenorchy. Allegedly there are some beautiful hikes - but I only had time for a stroll and coffee… but the drive was pretty amazing, incl a beautiful viewpoint along the road and a nap on one of those beaches.

    Another long drive followed - all the way to Te Anau, where I’ll stay for the next two nights…

    Highlight 1 of the day: No noteworthy incident with the car - driving left is weird but so far manageable.
    Highlight 2 of the day: Laundry!! Having clean clothes is a pretty good feeling. Not all the hiking dirt made it out of the clothes - but the fresh smell is definitely an improvement when opening the backpack…

    Mystery of the day: Huge police investigation in Te Anau. Unfortunately nobody told us what happened.

    Observations of the day: sheeeeep everywhere; merino everywhere; nature reminds me a bit of Alaska; like everywhere, the service sector is suffering from significant post-COVID staff shortage. Lots of places are not even open - and it is main season!!
    Read more