Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 34

    Last days at Curraghmore

    June 10, 2023 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 21 °C

    We have enjoyed our 2 plus weeks at Curraghmore Station. The Station is listed in the Camps 11 book, which usually lists free and low-cost campsites. Information and bookings can be done on the Curraghmore Station website. Cost to camp is $30 per adult per night, which we felt was very expensive considering there are no facilities. However, it is a very popular camp destination for locals for weekends and holidays.

    We felt privileged to have been allowed to stay here as ‘parents of the caretaker’ with permission of the owner, however we would not have stayed this long if we had to pay. Calculated the cost of camping here for our 16 days at $960!
    It has been lovely just relaxing and unwinding, walking, bird watching, reading, talking, exploring and generally just pottering around.

    While we were camped up, we also tidied up some long grass and dead bushes around our campsite, which opened up the camp area and gave us a better view of the river. The owner and caretakers were happy for us to do this. The owner is going to do a burn in the next few weeks, so we are glad we were here before the burn as the blackened grass would smolder and smell for a while.

    Emma had to go into Cairns (a 2 hour drive each way) on Friday, so left us Grey Nomads in charge of the station and checking campers in. It was fun to do something different and meet some fellow campers, and we spent the whole day at the homestead working and catching up on downloading photos and our diary/blog.

    Another interesting thing about this Station is that there was a murder here in 2012. Google ‘Curraghmore Station Murder’ for more information.

    Emma and Billie had a camp out with 3 of the dogs and set up their small dome tent under our awning. They had barely room to move, and Emma hardly got a wink of sleep, I think she was glad to see the sunrise.

    Sunday 11th June. Our last night at the station was spent with Emma, Jason and his 3 fishing mates. Jason brought us back some frozen barramundi which we will look forward to eating. Emma cooked a yummy pork curry and after a few drinks they all headed off in search of red claw, and we headed back to bed as we were planning to be on the road early the next morning.
    Read more