Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 37

    Elim Beach Part 2

    June 13, 2023 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 25 °C

    While we were enjoying our stay relaxing and walking along the beach, there are a couple of places to visit nearby and drives that you can do while staying here. One is to visit the Coloured Sands, and the other is a 4WD trip to Cape Bedford.

    The coloured sands are accessible by 4WD driving on the beach and can only be accessed at low tide. We drove past a wreck of a vehicle stuck in the sand, apparently it rolled and was trapped by the incoming tide and has been there for many years as it was completely rusted out.

    The coloured sands were interesting to see, all shades of red, pink, yellow, brown, orange and black on the cliff face, blending at times, looking spectacular against the white sand.

    After leaving the Coloured Sands, we started to drive to Cape Bedford, but the track became too sandy, and as we were travelling alone, we/I decided not to continue, much to Theo’s disappointment. His nickname for me is now the ‘handbrake’. We did travel for a couple of kilometres parallel to the beach on a narrow sandy track, through several deep freshwater crossings until the track started to get very sandy. I became anxious and I really did not feel comfortable travelling by ourselves in case we got bogged or scratched the sides of the car, so we abandoned our plans.

    There are quite a few shacks on the beach used by locals, some quite sound and others are in ruins or falling down. Campers are given quite firm advice not to visit the beach shacks.
    The beach is a mixture of mudflats and sandflats and looks wonderful when the tide is in, but when the tide is out the mud is exposed. Ivan said that there are no crocodiles here, as apparently, they don’t like the mud flats as there is no food for them, but further down near the river mouth there is a resident croc.

    We were also told that there are no stingers, but as beautiful as it is, it is not a swimming beach, as wading into the water near the shore, you end up with mud up to your calves. We watched some kids having fun, rolling around in the mud in front of the camp near the mangroves. Another beautiful sunset, another fire twirling show by Jess, and another balmy star filled night sky.
    Read more