Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 49

    Karumba

    June 25, 2023 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 22 °C

    After a warm night and a restless sleep, we awoke and dressed and walked down to the local market, which is held every Sunday next to the Sunset Bar. We browsed but did not buy anything, as it was typical market stuff, nothing took my fancy, then back to the van for breakfast and a cuppa.

    Feeling energetic, we started on the 3.8km walk from where we are staying at Karumba Point to Karumba, past the mandatory crocodile warning and through the (dry) wetlands along the path, not really sure how far we would go or how our energy levels would be in the humid heat. We ended up walking the full length of the track, then stopped for 10 minutes to catch our breath and then walked back again.
    We felt happy with ourselves as it was a pretty good achievement walking nearly 8kms in the middle of the day, when we have not done this for quite a few years. We arrived back hot and sweaty and thirsty (we did take a small bottle of water with us) and recovered while having lunch.

    After lunch we drove the car down the track past the airport where there is access to the beach with the plan to fish off the beach. The tide was going out, and so were the fish. Last time we were in Karumba we brought a bait net which had not been opened, so Theo got it out and tried to practice casting to get some bait. He only caught 2 small fish and used them, but the bigger fish had already taken off with the tide. He said he is going to do a refresher on YouTube on bait net casting.

    There has been a vacant camp site between us and Gail, but late this afternoon, a massive caravan and vehicle pulled up and after a couple of attempts, they backed into the site. Six adults got out of the car, and a couple of swags have been set up under the awning. They said that they are staying for a week, so I am very happy that we are moving on tomorrow. Poor Gail is staying another 10 days and she is just in a small motor home, so I hope that they are not too noisy for her.

    Had a hamburger and barra burger for dinner then walked back along the beach trying to get the best sunset photo. Once again, lots and lots of photos of the magnificent sky and sun disappearing beyond the horizon.

    Tomorrow we are planning on heading west to a free camp at Leichhardt Falls, about 2 hours' drive. Talking to some other travelers, apparently the falls are pumping. Last time we stayed there, the falls were just flowing, but there has been some heavy rain recently.
    Read more