Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    Detroit

    September 7, 2023 in the United States ⋅ ☁️ 22 °C

    In 2021 there was no time to go to Detroit, since our joint time in the US was so limited. This year, however, we made sure that Detroit is on the list. The city is really interesting. Once, 2 million people lived here, now, only 650.000 are left. It was a thriving metropolitan area in the first half of the 20th century, but it steadily declined since then. Currently, around 80.000 houses are empty and those are not only small residential houses, but also huge business and factory buildings. The city is quite photogenic, but at times also a bit spooky...
    We first walked around the downtown area and had a look inside the Guardian Building, which is beautifully tiled and decorated, a milestone of american skycraper architecture of the late 20ies.
    After two hours of walking, we had a coffee break and took the Qline (Tram) to the northwest of the city. We visited the Museum of Contemporary Art. It featured several African-American artists and had a special exhibition with art by incarcerated people.
    A couple of stops further is the Fisher Building, another example of how wealthy the city once was.
    We still want to see the Eastern Market on the weekend, so this won't have been our last visit of Detroit!
    Read more