Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    The Jewish Quarter

    June 28, 2023 in Poland ⋅ ☁️ 19 °C

    Day 4
    Took a tour around Schindlers Factory, Kazmeria and the area that became the Jewish Ghetto., during the German occupation of Krakow. It seems Schindler was a shrewd businessman first, using situations to his advantage. Buying old factories at cheap prices and using them to support the war effort (ammunition), he made himself very wealthy. This enabled him to bribe the German officers who allowed him to employ Jews, whom he didn't have to pay. Our tour guide suggests by doing what he did, was making sure he had an insurance policy should the Germans be defeated.
    He did prevent 1200 Jews from going to Auschwitz though and looked after them by obtaining food on the black market. For this he should be remembered.
    But should also be Jan Karski who was a spy and was given information about German locations. He also told the west (Roosevelt) about the death camps in 1942. They choose not to get involved despite his insistance that waiting to win the war would be too late for the Jewish population. The chairs are a memorial to the 3000 Jews murdered where we were standing while waiting with there belongings to be sent to a "camp"
    Found a lovely French cafe where they served cream of beetroot and raspberry soup with goats cheese -Sue's favourite meal
    Read more