Satelita
Pokaż na mapie
  • Dzień 7

    Harbin

    9 maja, Chiny ⋅ ☀️ 18 °C

    We're now in Harbin, a village of 10 million people in the NE of China. It took a Maglev ride (at 300 k/hr) and a 3hr plane ride yesterday to get here. The Maglev was a demonstration gift from Germany but apparently the Chinese were not sufficiently impressed to use the technology elsewhere.
    Harbin has traces of Russian heritage. Russians came here to build the railway ending up in Vladivostok (which was once part of China). White Russians also came after the revolution.
    We are staying at the Modern Hotel which was built in tsarist times. Lots of wood and creaks. Olde world charm.
    This morning we went off to the Unit 731 Museum. The Japanese invaded and took control of northern China in 1932 or thereabouts. They were after resources. They also set up a research centre on chemical and biological weapons -- unit 731. They experimented and fine tuned on the locals. It's an unheralded war crime which was overlooked by the Americans in return for all their well documented research. The Museum was in an impressive building, told a story that had to be told but was obviously not uplifting.
    But we cheered up over some excellent dumplings which are a Harbin specialty. Then a visit to the Sophia Cathedral -- a remaining Russian Orthodox church -- and a stroll along the river.
    We are something of celebrities here. Lots of stares and photos taken and parents thrusting their young children at us to say 'Hallo'
    Czytaj więcej