衛星
マップで表示する
  • 日6

    Observations on Shanghai

    5月8日, 中国 ⋅ ☀️ 24 °C

    They say Shanghai is an international and not a Chinese city. I see what they mean. Put aside the 24 million residents and there's not a lot to distinguish it as Chinese. I liked it though. The parts we were in were interesting with Art Deco buildings green spaces flowers everywhere--even on the sides of highways -- interesting history and the whole place was immaculately clean. The people seemed friendly and happy enough. There weren't many foreigners around. Things are not busy as an empty domestic air terminal indicates. It's dear -- international prices.
    We saw a few beggars which was surprising. But apparently the safety net has some holes in it. Basically you have to work -- even if it's cleaning the streets or standing around guarding a door all day.
    They are cleaning up pollution eg EVs and electric scooters (petrol bikes banned). Scooters are the silent assassins on the pedestrian crossings.
    Comms are hopeless. WhatsApp works but nothing else for me. My VPN obviously hasn't been approved. Sue's works (Norton). She can also access emails etc through phone roaming.
    You have to use cash. Retail outlets don't accept cards (only WeChat payments on phones).
    The English signposting makes it reasonably easy to get around, as does the underground metro system. Young people speak enough English to help you out.
    Security cameras are everywhere. Our guide told us of one customer who lost his wallet (place unknown) and another who left his card in an ATM. Both were recovered within 24 hours by reviewing security footage. Would-be thieves are deterred by the ubiquitous camera coverage.
    もっと詳しく