Satelita
Pokaż na mapie
  • Dzień 3

    Still Alive & Walking

    5 maja 2023, Francja ⋅ ☁️ 22 °C

    I wanted to give you a quick update as I’ve awoken in the middle of the night, as I often do. I have found sleep to be a challenge, as do many of the other pilgrims who walk. I apologize that it’s taken me so long to be in touch!

    I’ve completed Day 10 of my Camino and I’m finding it a challenge to complete my daily updates, but will still be sending them out. My schedule tends to be:
    6:00 - 6:30 am - awaken
    7:15 - 8:00 am - depart

    Walk, walk, walk… until I reach my destination, which is anywhere from 20 - 30 km (12.5 - 18.5 miles) on a typical day. This usually takes 5 - 7 hours, depending on the terrain, and how many stops/breaks I take. The longer days are taking their toll on my feet, so I’m planning to keep my days to the shorter end of the mileage going forward. I’ll be searching for a foot massage in the near future also. 🤗

    I came down with a cold three days ago, so that has made the days more difficult. That likely came from sleeping in the albergues, which are hostels that accommodate anywhere from about 20 - 100 pilgrims, although I tend to choose the smaller sized ones. I also mix in some private rooms here and there, and it’s a treat to have a bathroom all to myself, to sleep without earplugs, and to be provided real bed linens and towels. It’s the small things that you come to appreciate!

    The countryside is beautiful and I’ve taken many pictures that I will share, along with a daily video. I take so many pictures on some days that it adds to the time that it takes me to reach my destination, but the memories are priceless. As in life, it’s about the journey and not the destination.

    The number of people that I have met is countless and the interactions last sometimes for just minutes and other times for days. Fellow pilgrims weave in and out of my daily walks and many I miss when the pace of our journeys separate us along the way.

    Kindness is a theme that resonates daily. They say that the Camino will provide and I see it from fellow pilgrims, from the hosts in the albergues, and from the local Spaniards who set out tables of snacks and drinks along the trail. I have stories of kindness and generosity to share.

    I try to grab a coffee and croissant or pastry before I begin my days and then stop in the first town that I reach for another coffee and a slice of Spanish tortilla. Fresh squeezed orange juice is a treat that I love! I eat lots of bread/carbs that I would never eat at home, because that is what’s available and I’m burning lots of calories. I feel as though I’m always hungry and in search of food. I laugh at the enormity of my appetite. I’ve even awoken in the night wishing I had something to eat. 😂

    Upon reaching my daily destination, it’s time to make up my bed with the disposable sheet and pillowcase that are provided, lay out my sleeping bag, shower and do laundry. Sometimes that means by hand and hanging it to dry, and other times there is the luxury of one washer/dryer that you share with your fellow pilgrims sleeping in the same accommodation.

    Finding food, even a small snack, in the late afternoon can be a challenge because it’s siesta time for the locals, after they’ve already enjoyed their big meal for the day. Pilgrims want to eat early and get to bed by 8:30 - 9:00 pm, but restaurants usually don’t start serving dinner until 8:00 pm. A pilgrims meal is often an option and includes your choice of a starter, main course, dessert and red wine for 12 - 18€. It’s a great deal! I also love the albergues that include a community dinner, which you enjoy family style with other pilgrims. This is a great way to meet more people from around the world and not have to give thought to where you’re going to eat after a tiring day of walking.

    The weather has been unseasonably cold with the temps in the high 40’s to low 60’s. We’ve had some rain the past two days, so you just cover your pack, put on your raincoat, put your head down, and walk. There is the ongoing debate between whether you’re Team Poncho or Team Raincoat/pack cover, and I’m Team Raincoat. Both sides have their pros and cons. I much prefer walking in cooler weather as opposed to the heat.

    There is so much more, but it’s 3:31 am and I do need to get some sleep. I have a 22.8 km (14+ miles) walk today to reach my next stop. I promise to share pics and stories of my experience ASAP. Buen Camino! ☺️
    Czytaj więcej