Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 28

    Windin Falls

    September 28, 2019 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 17 °C

    On this day we decided to hike to the only spot I researched back home in Germany. The one spot I desperately wanted to visit.
    Windin Falls are located in the Wooroonooran National Park, which is a NP pretty far away from civilization. This means that the whole way, there was no service. If something happened we‘d have to walk all the way back to our car and drive until we‘d be outside.
    Our journey began when we parked our Tony a few kilometres away from the starting point so we had to walk about half an hour to just hike one and a half hours more.
    After about the half of the way, a german couple, Linisa and I stopped right before a corner because about 10 metres in front of us stood a big bird. A cossowary. Just of all things, there stood the most dangerous bird in the world, which I was afraid of for all the time we‘ve been in North Queensland.
    We still don‘t know who started running, either the bird or the german couple but suddenly all 5 of us were running all the way back.
    I can‘t even tell you how scared we‘ve been with a bird which reaches a body height of 2 metres and has claws which are 10 centimetres long.
    And the bird gets as fast as 50 km/h, faster as most humans.
    So we just ran for our lives with this bird only one metre behind us. When Linisa and I ran out of breath we did what you are supposed to do from the beginning. We hid behind a tree. The bird stopped with us and gazed at us for about 5 minutes. But then it just turned around and walked away.
    We continued the way up but couldn‘t really enjoy the view because the only thing we could think of was the way down we still had to take.
    Obviously we survived everything and are left with nothing but paranoia and beautiful pictures.
    Read more