Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 34

    Magnetic Island

    October 4, 2019 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 22 °C

    The last two days we‘ve spent on Magnetic Island.
    We did a tour directly at our campsite which was really exciting and informative about several typical aussie animals such as the Black Headed Python, the Blue Tongue Lizzard, the Freshwater Crocodile, the Wombat and of course the Koala.
    Did anyone know that Eucalyptus is actually really toxic for koalas and that they can only eat 23 of 600 species? Yeah, me neither. Actually, Koalas can‘t even digest the leafs by themselves a special bacteria has to help, which they can‘t produce themselves. They have to eat some of their mothers puke in order to survive in the wild.
    On the Fort Track, a track which gives information about ruins of military camps, you can spot wild Koalas such as the one with its baby on its head.
    Apropos Koala heads, their brains are as small als both the nails of your pinky fingers together! As small as a grape! Literally the only things they are good at and care about are climbing, sleeping, distinguishing the more toxic eucalyptus leafs from the less toxic ones and eating those.
    You‘re welcome for this little excursion about Koalas. 🐨
    Read more