Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    Damas Island Mangrove Kayak Tour & Hike

    January 20 in Costa Rica ⋅ ☀️ 28 °C

    An exciting morning as we venture out to Damas for our Kayak tour of the mangroves. William is a Biologist and our guide. He grew up on this farm and has been touring and educating people about the Mangroves and the biodiversity and ecology of the area. Javier, a very nice guy from Los Angeles & Susan and Robert from New York were in our grouping. We saw monkeys right away, many birds, iguanas, crabs, & sardines. No crocs are in this type of Mangrove and the boas are nocturnal and tend to be in the fields. We had a relaxing paddle and saw a 600 year old White Mangrove tree. When the tree is 50-60 years old the roots start to grow above ground and the bottom roots feed from the water.
    We had a very nice meal provided afterward, chatted with our larger group and shared information and photos. Anthony and I learned about a Rainmaker hike from Susan and Robert so we decided to go take it in. It was fantastic. Not only was it great exercise with all the stairs, but being in the canopy of the rain forest and seeing the depth of the jungle around us, the waterfalls and swim holes was another highlight of the day. We drove back and hiked up to our airbnb, got ready and went out for a really nice meal and then on to meet up with Shaun & Tom, Dawn & Craig at their place. We got caught up on our travels and adventures. We are all heading to Manuel Antonio National Park tomorrow to spend the day together.
    Read more