Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    Shanghai

    July 29, 2017 in China ⋅ ⛅ 34 °C

    First stop today with our tour guide Richard was the Yuyuan Gardens in the Old City. This is a beautiful example of a Chinese classical style - beautiful landscaping and architecture that dates back to the Ming Dynasty.

    A torrential downpour did not discourage us from a walking tour of the Bund - mind you the plastic ponchos did create a sauna like experience when the blazing sun came out!

    We could have blown the kids inheritance (if there is any!!) on a lovely silk carpet/duvet/clothing/silk items etc but managed to keep the purse strings closed on this occasion! May be next time though!

    Following lunch we headed to the Shanghai Museum - what did we learn here?
    - Jade was more precious than gold
    - One emporer sold 3 cities for one disc of jade
    - In its purest form, jade is not green but colourless
    There were lots of ming vases and also a huge queue, which we did not join, to see the visiting exhibition of artifacts form the British Museum!

    If this was not enough for one days' entertainment, we headed after dinner to see a performance by Charm Oriental - acrobats who manged to distort their bodies into positions that created lots of ooohs and aaaarhs from the audience! No photos though - not allowed!! We are sure however two of the performer have been on Britains Got Talent - the ones that entwined themselves in hanging silks.
    Read more