Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 11

    Xian

    August 6, 2017 in China ⋅ ⛅ 33 °C

    Early starts are a regular occurance on this holiday but we do not mind as it means we beat the crowds and the traffic! Another exciting day - the Terracotta Army! Discovered in 1974 by accident when local farmers were digging a well - they broke into a pit containing 6000 life-size terracotta figures. Excavation started in 1976 which revealed two further pits - and apparently there are thought to be more smaller pits not yet excavated.

    The army was built to guard the tomb of the first emperor of China, Qin Shi Huang who lived over 2,200 years ago - hope you are taking all this history in as we will be testing you on out return!

    We could have stood looking at this amazing site for hours - sadly not possible. The detail on each figure is absolutely unbelievable. Definitely a memory to treasure and we both have 2 (slightly smaller) ones to enjoy at home!!

    Some interesting info - the hands and heads of each of the warriors were made separately and each head is reputed to be unique with individual features and facial expressions.

    To end this special day, our evening was spent at the Tang Dynasty dinner and show. A lovely Chinese meal that included delicious rice wine was followed by a show of dances and music from the Tang Dynasty. Amazing colourful costumes, traditional music and spectacular dancing the evening was packed full of entertainment.
    Read more