Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    Day 2: La Vierge to Roncesvalles, part 1

    May 19, 2023 in France ⋅ ☁️ 45 °F

    Miles: 8.5
    Elevation gain: 1,660 feet
    Elevation loss: 2,110 feet
    Weather: cold and windy at the top

    Today started, as the French woman next to me on the shuttle said, with us “walking into the clouds.” I was glad/grateful many times today, most often that it wasn’t raining or snowing. That said, this Oklahoman was pretty cold, especially at the top; with the wind, the relief was exquisite when the trail went low enough or in the lee of one of the mountains.

    Speaking of the shuttle, the driver started the car, and the first thing on the stereo was the opening was the first movement of Beethoven 9. That’s a little heavy, right?

    Anyway, up into the fog. The trail switched from the asphalt road to dirt trails fairly early on, and periods of flatness/slight descent were most welcome. I crossed the border into Spain without fanfare, and then climbed some more. I was very happy to reach the top, Col Lepoeder!

    1. Into the clouds!
    2. Lots of sheep. Apparently raised for the milk and cheese. Carry on!
    3. The beginning of the dirt trail was particularly steep.
    4. Welcome brief descent into the forest.
    5. The France-Spain border. That was it. No wall!
    6. The best lunch so far. I picked up a sandwich in Saint Jean. Crusty bread, cheese, and some sort of cherry jam. Perfect!
    7. Looking back over the Pyrenees
    8. Huge black slugs on the side of the road. They reminded me of alligators sunning themselves on the side of a trail in the Everglades.
    8. The top!
    Read more