Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 12

    Day 8: Puenta la Reina to Villatuerta

    May 25, 2023 in Spain ⋅ ⛅ 57 °F

    Mileage: 12 miles
    Elevation gain:
    Elevation loss:
    Weather: mostly cloudy, cool and breezy. So lucky so far, knock wood!
    Total mileage: 66.5 miles

    We enjoyed cafes con leche at our very nice hotel/albergue this morning before hitting the road. More coffees and pastries along the way, of course! Puenta la Reina is a very pretty village, and we enjoyed walking through it. Another day of farmland, trees, and lots of flowers. Each village we walked through was on a hill, which makes sense from a defensive point of view but made for a hilly day! We saw wheat and barley (thanks, Brad!), beans, olives, grapes, baby sunflowers, and tree fruit growing. Tonight we’re staying in a rustic place called Albergue La Casa Mágica, and we’re looking forward to a long day with a climb tomorrow.

    1. Iglesia del Crucifijo in Puenta la Reina. Lots of birds’ nests on top!
    2. The Roman bridge that gives the town its name. Impressive!
    3. This climb/forest reminded us of Colorado.
    4. More of the broom bushes (thanks, Sharon!) although we have decided that they’re called nature’s jazz hands. When the sun shines on them, they just glow!
    5. We walked around a corner, saw the town of Cirauqui on this hilltop, and started laughing. The views here continue to blow us away.
    6. Parroquia de San Salvador in Lorca
    7. More poppies today. They don’t get old!
    8. Underpass shortly before Villatuerta.
    9. Camino marking along the way today
    10. La Casa Màgica serves vegetarian paella each night. That largest pan is at least three feet across! We’re still waiting to eat as I type. We’re hungry so it will be good!
    Read more