Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 14

    Day 10: Los Arcos to Viana

    May 27, 2023 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 59 °F

    Mileage: 13 miles? Guidebook says about 12, Garmin says 14
    Elevation gain: 1,401
    Elevation loss: 1,230
    Total mileage: 96.5

    I wasn’t sure that my feet would ever function again at the end of yesterday’s walk, but somehow they felt pretty good this morning. A beautiful sunny, cool morning turned into a warm sunny afternoon as we continued to walk up and down the hills. The scenery continues to amaze. We’re starting to recognize quite a few fellow pilgrims who seem to be on the same schedule as us. Tonight we’re in an albergue (hostel) with many people. I think the earplugs will come in handy again!

    1. Iglesia de Santa Maria in Los Arcos
    2. Yes, more
    3. Lots of impressive mountains in the distance.
    4. The village of Torres del Rio
    5. Many of the steeper slopes, especially near towns, are paved like this. You see the paving stones and know it’s about to get steep!
    6. I like the post horn symbol the national mail service uses
    7. Lots of vineyards today. This one reminded me of a Van Gogh painting with all of the crooked trunks. (Vines? Roots?)
    8. We passed several wild cherry trees with ripe fruit today. My family knows how very happy this made me!
    9. The weather was nice but there were So! Many! Gnats! today. They really loved Angela!
    10. Ruins of la Iglesia de San Pedro in Viana. We had cheap but delicious beers and snacks at a table quite near here in perfect weather. Great ending to the day.
    Read more