Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 26

    Day 27. Rest day in Leon

    May 25, 2023 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 23 °C

    We are staying in central Leon, close to the Gothic cathedral on the Camino trail. Construction of Leon Cathedral, begun in the 13th century reflecting one of the greatest works of the Gothic style. From an engineering standpoint, this cathedral was the first to use thinner walls , allowing for a wider span, replacing those walls with more impressive stained glass. This church has nearly 1800 square meters of stained-glass windows dating back to the 13th century. Leon Cathedral, along with the Burgos Cathedral and the one in Santiago de Compostela are the three most significant cathedrals on the Camino.
    The Basilica de San Isidoro is a church located on the site of an ancient temple. Its Christian roots can be traced back to the early 10th century when a monastery of St John the Baptist was erected on the grounds. In 1603 the basilica was rededicated to St Isadore of Seville. As Doug has mentioned this is representative of the best in Roman structures. Unfortunately, indoor photos were disallowed but we did see royal crypts and striking medieval wall paintings (frescoes).
    We spent much of the afternoon at a cafe people watching, nothing the many pilgrims who set off today. Last night, we ate some traditional Spanish food: tortilla espanola (onions, potatoes, egg cooked in olive oil), tapas, morcilla (blood sausage in spices), paella, and calamari. We ate too much last night, so we stuck to plainer rice and vegetables today; however, we did allow for an ice cream and pastry treat.
    Cathy has adapted amazingly well to the 8-hr time difference - or perhaps she’s just happy to see me - between here and Yellowknife. We’re hitting the sack early, hoping to start shortly after 8:00 am breakfast. Cathy’s first day on the Camino- stay tuned tomorrow to find out how she does!
    Read more