Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    Orange-Parkes-Peak Hill

    July 30, 2019 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 10 °C

    It was quite chilly and overcast this morning in Orange. Left our accommodation heading for the Pinnacle lookout at Mt Canobolas. Quite a few steps to the top but rewarded with a great view - would be fantastic on a sunny day. As we moved further north the sun came out and it was quite pleasant.

    Drove towards Parkes, specifically to see the Parkes Radio Telescope. Brad was in his element (anything to do with space or war). We watched a 3D movie regarding telescopes and space etc. which was quite interesting. I was quite intrigued with the whispering dishes - 2 x 3m dishes set about 50m apart. One person whispered into one and the sound travelled clear as a bell to the other person.

    From there we went to Peak Hill for the Gold Mine Experience. Basically an open cut gold mine that we wandered around to various view points. For some reason we seemed to be going uphill a lot.... we certainly got our exercise today.

    The country so far is quite green although not much grass. Even saw a paddock of bright yellow flowers (canola?) that looked magnificent next to the other green crops. Seemed quite early in the season for them to be flowering.
    Read more