Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 12

    We found a lion!

    October 4, 2019 in South Africa ⋅ ☀️ 15 °C

    Final morning in Kruger and we were able to fit in another safari drive before our flight back to Johannesburg...and thank goodness we did because we found a magnificent lion. Took many photos and headed to the river bank for early morning cuppa while watching the wildlife, mainly hippos.

    This ended our Kruger experience. Bus back to Nelspruit and short flight to Johannesburg where a small group of us had booked a Soweto tour. This included a visit to Nelson Mandela's house, the Hector Peitersen memorial (a school student shot by police during student protests in the 1970's), and an after school program for children from 4-14 yo who may need a safe environment to keep them off the streets until their parent/s or caregivers came home. The children grabbed our hands and showed us their veggie garden and art works before joining in a game sort of like"Simon Says". Finally we visited Kliptown (not sure of spelling), which is an informal settlement in Soweto much like the favelas in Rio. It is quite confronting as 1000's of people are living in corrugated tin structures with electricity but no running water. There are open drains and a port-a-loo would serve 5 families. Water for cooking and washing had to be carried from a communal tap.

    A very long day..up at 5am and not back from tour until after 7pm. Didn't take much rocking to go to sleep as we had another early start for our flight to Victoria Falls.
    Read more