Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 15

    Chobe National Park - Day 1

    October 7, 2019 in Botswana ⋅ ⛅ 28 °C

    What can I say, but border crossings in Africa is an adventure in itself. Traveling from Victoria Falls, Zambia to Chobe National Park in Botswana required a river border crossing by ferry. They are building a bridge (since 2014 - probably not complete for another couple of years) which will ease the traffic congestion but at the moment all transport has to cross by boat/ferry. This means they have to wait their turn. Average wait time - 2 weeks! Talk about chaos. We had to ditch the bus, unload the luggage, put it all on a a small boat with ourselves on another boat and cross the river. Load up another bus and off again. We are in Botswana!

    Not too far to Chobe Bush Lodge - again quite nice, where we had lunch then joined a river safari along the Chobe River. This time we saw a few new animals we had not previously seen such as the Cape Buffalo (one of the big 5), Nile crocodile, black sable antelope, and the Marabou stork (one of the ugly 5).

    There were lots of elephants too and at one point a group decided to cross the river, and we, along with dozens of other boats watched the spectacle which I think confused the elephants and they started moving around in circles. Plenty of photos and once again a lovely African sunset over the Chobe River this time.
    Read more