Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    Whirlpools and bridges and gardens

    October 20, 2022 in Japan ⋅ ☀️ 19 °C

    We drove to Naruto Strait, and toured the Naruto whirlpools. These tidal whirlpools, created by the fast tidal current, can measure up to about 20 metres in diameter. Interesting, but not really worth the boat ride to look at them.

    We headed to Takamatsu and visited the open-air museum of Shikoku Mura for a glimpse of old village life. Over 20 restored traditional buildings and structures were relocated here from all over the island and includes farmhouses, storehouses, production workshops for soy sauce and sugar, a thatched kabuki theatre and a vine suspension bridge. The bridge looks terribly unsafe and you will see the photos of me hanging on for grim death. Enjoyed this visit though would have liked to have spent a bit longer.

    Then we visited the Ritsurin Garden, an exquisite traditional garden– it’s a National Treasure and arguably one of the most beautiful gardens in the country (at least that is what the brochure says). I loved this garden, very peaceful. Unfortunately we arrived a little late in the day and we lost a lot of the sunlight, Also, the autumn colours will be better in 2-3 weeks.
    Read more