Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 13

    More Fuji and finally Tokyo

    October 29, 2022 in Japan ⋅ ⛅ 13 °C

    Woke early hoping to catch Mt Fuji at sunrise. Oh no! Fog everywhere - you wouldn't know there was a mountain there. However, during breakfast, the fog lifted and the view was just magnificent. This iconic mountain is truly a highlight of this trip and we feel very fortunate to see it in all its glory as it is often hidden by cloud.

    Leaving the hotel we drove to a park area for a different viewpoint, however by this time the clouds had returned and the mountain remained hidden. There were mass plantings of these bright pink bushes which I think may be called Summer Cypress or Kochia. I wonder if we can grow them at home?

    Nearby, we visited the Itchiku Kubota Art Museum to learn about the revival of the lost art of Tsujigahana silk dyeing for kimonos. Kubota Itchiku was a textile artist who revived this rather tedious technique. At first look at the array of kimonos around the exhibition hall we thought, that's nice, but... not sure what the big deal is. After watching a presentation we realised each kimono was part of an intricate landscape... then you went Wow! Photos not permitted in the gallery so will try and find one online. The complex has lovely gardens and a traditional tea room. A very nice tour.

    Then it’s onto Tokyo, home to 38 million people. We stopped at Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building for panoramic views over the city.
    Read more