衛星
マップで表示する
  • 日61

    Budapest, Hungary (Day 2)

    2023年10月5日, ハンガリー ⋅ ☀️ 72 °F

    What we did:
    - Grabbed breakfast at Blueberry cafe and called a Bolt to take us across the river to the Gellert Hotel for some thermal bathing. This is a must-do while you’re in Hungary, just to experience it once! Trent forgot his swim trunks and had to run back to the hotel to grab them and find us within the baths.
    - Relaxed in a series of pools, both inside and outside, ranging in multiple different temperatures. Had to figure out our way through the labyrinth of pools, saunas, and rooms as is a typical feature of Hungarian bath houses.
    - After relaxing for a few hours we changed and walked across the street to start one of Steph’s favorite walks/hikes of the city! The walk is all uphill to the Freedom statue, and is the highest point in the city to provide great views! Unfortunately, we realized once we got to the top that there is a lot of construction being done at the lookout point. So, couldn’t see too much but it was nice to get the legs moving!
    - We then walked back over the river across the Freedom bridge to the Pest side of the city. We explored a massive indoor market and tried some Hungarian delicacies - a Chimney cake and goulash!
    - We then walked around the district closest to where Steph had studied and she showed us some of the hot spots. Stopped for a drink at a local ruin pub and enjoyed the sunshine and nice weather!
    - We then headed back to the hotel and stopped at Steph’s favorite fast-casual spot (this was a non-negotiable stop for Steph) - Pad Thai Wok Bar! After ordering various forms of wok dishes to go, the rest of the group realized why Steph often dreams about this restaurant. Another restaurant that we need to franchise in the states.
    - Walked through other districts in the city before stopping at a local shop to buy a mug for Sally (she’s trying to collect different mugs for the lake house). We regrouped at the hotel and then hit the town!
    - Stopped at a local bar where Doug got his best Gin & Tonic of the trip! All other G&Ts ordered thus far this trip usually came with some weird berry/syrup and was not what you would typically get in the states. Had a few drinks and then hit a local wine bar for some drinks and charcuterie!
    - Stopped at an Irish bar near the hotel for a night cap. Doug convinced everyone to get one last round of palinka shots…we regretted this the next day. Went to bed to gear up for the train ride the next day.

    What we ate:
    - Blueberry Brunch: coffees, eggs Benedict for Sally, a Mexican (VERY cheesy) eggs dish for trent and Steph, and a ham omelet for Doug
    - Central Market Hall of Budapest: Cinnamon and whipped cream chimney cake for Doug and Sally, and cinnamon and Nutella chimney cake for Trent and Steph. Traditional Hungarian goulash soup for Trent and Steph. Trent loved this which made steph very happy and further determined to find a similar recipe to make at home.
    - Pad Thai Wok Bar: Pad Thai for Trent and Stir fry for Sally, Doug, and Steph with the best Indonesian Satay sauce!
    - ShowRum Spirit Bar: Gin & Tonics and Old Fashions
    - Marilou Win Bar - French red wine and charcuterie
    - Captain Cook Pub - beers and palinka shots for a night cap while watching some European football

    Fun facts:
    - There are over 270 natural thermal springs in Budapest. These springs are filtered to old bath houses all of the city. Although there is no science to back it, the Hungarians believe it has a medicinal/therapeutic impact on the body. The Hungarian government subsidizes the use of the baths for Hungarians by making it a part of the healthcare system.
    - Everyone was shocked by the number of bars and restaurants in Budapest. All looking very fun, good vibes, and well taken care of. We have no idea how they could all stay in business, but good news was that there was always plenty of excellent options for us!
    もっと詳しく