Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 82

    Paris, France (Day 4)

    October 26, 2023 in France ⋅ ☁️ 59 °F

    What we did:
    - Woke up around 8am for our trek to Versailles! Stopped for breakfast at another delicious Boulangerie and then hopped on the metro. Our train transfer required a walk past the Eiffel tower so nice to see it during the day… way more ugly and unimpressive though compared to the dazzle at night.
    - Our connecting train was cancelled due to French strikes so we ended up taxiing. We spent about two hours at Versailles wandering the ornate indoors and impressive hall of mirrors before enjoying the massive garden.
    - We headed back to Paris to print and mail our signed wedding contract! After a few failed attempts we found a print spot. Then the only DHL was a sketchy pop-up selling “used” iphones… $60 later we received a valid tracking number but time will tell if the contract makes it. (As of this writing, Steph’s credit card was hacked for $1500 at Apple. Coincidence? We think not. The contract is 5 days late, but at least allegedly in Milwaukee).
    - We then headed to a TikTok famous cafe to celebrate our contract signing with arguably the best hot chocolate we’ve ever had!
    - We showered and then went to Sarah’s apartment for pre-dinner apps and wine! Her place is HUGE! Super old but very nice and great to meet her roommates. Trent’s family Christmas at her parents house always included apps that we nicknamed “cheesies in the parlor”. Sarah put on a “cheesies in the parlor” to make the family proud! It was a delicious spread of cheeses and French bread. Wine to top if off of course!
    - We then went to a vibey and happening seafood restaurant for a great three hour dinner. Good food, drinks, and conversation! So great to learn about Sarah’s experiences and time abroad. Living abroad in a city like Paris has her maturity and awareness so much higher than when what ours was when we were pounding drinks in Kilroys every night.
    - Walked down the Canal St. Martin on the way home and called it a night around 1:30. Paris you were good to us!

    What we ate:
    - Boulangerie Mamiche for croissants and sammies in the 10th arrondissement
    - Lunch on the train home of French sandwiches at “Madeline”
    - Hot chocolate and croissants at Carrette
    - Great spread at Sarah’s apartment of French bread, cheese and grapes. Amazing work and even more impressive for a college student
    - Dinner with Sarah at Le Comptoir General. Delicious smoked salmon apps and seared scallops for all. Cocktails and white wine to top it off!

    Fun facts:
    - During the French Revolution, Versailles was absolutely ransacked. After that it was never used as a residence again and instead was turned into a museum for French pride.
    - The garden is the largest palace garden in the world and was prioritized by Louis X
    - Sarah told us that it's been hard to meet Parisians (note: she has a great crew from all over the world) because their hometown arrondissement is a massive deal. They all go to a college in their local arrondissement so they live at home during that time, and therefore only ever hangout with the kids they went through grade school with. Kind of like the private school vibe down south but to a much higher extent.
    Read more