Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 11

    Neuswanstien castle, Garmisch

    August 6, 2023 in Germany ⋅ 🌧 57 °F

    We stayed at Hotel Garni Brunnthaler. We had a larger room because we accidentally ordered a baby bed when we thought we were reserving parking lol! Got up early and left the hotel before breakfast so we could get to Neuschwanstein Castle for our tour reservation. It was pouring cats and dogs pretty much all morning and continued through the day and it had also rained all night. Now we know why everything is so intensely green. King Ludwig never completed this castle and only lived there for 170 days. He was arrested in his bed chamber and found dead in the lake the next day. Apparently at that point in time he was not a popular King! Most likely this was due to his excessive expenditures on this castle and his plans for future extravagant spending on this castle as well as others he had planned to build. The parts of the castle that we saw were quite fantastic and over the top. Interesting blend of different styles. We enjoyed the tour and especially seeing the huge kitchen area.. location is fantastic and the castle has its very own private view of a massive waterfall.
    We enjoyed walking through a historic part of Garmisch with many murals and beautiful and historic homes. We took the rest of the day to drive to Salzburg and stopped at a McDonald's about halfway there. McDonald's is at a whole different level here. They had a whole barista coffee bar with pastries and the restaurant was two story... Very fancy McDonalds!
    Read more