Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 1

    Arriving

    May 21, 2021 in England ⋅ 🌧 12 °C

    After a painfully slow journey - thanks to road closures, accidents and who knows what, we arrived at Slopes Farm. Sited on Woodland Trust land on the outskirts of Lyme Regis. Our surprisingly young host Georgina came to greet us. The annexe was set next to her family home, with a slightly untidy looking drive area and possibly another annexe to one side. However a neat looking veg plot behind the house. Inside - a spacious living area with room for a 6 seater L shaped sofa and a pool table! Surprising as the annexe can only sleep two! A small kitchen towards the back corner, a small double room and a little corridor leading from the bathroom to a small shower room. Two sets of double doors in the living area and one in the bedroom open out onto a deck and the grassy garden surrounded by woodland.
    A slight lack of homely features make the annexe feel very much “holiday accommodation” rather than a “home from home” - no books, games, cushions, ornaments, toiletries but it’s clean and otherwise nicely furnished, if a bit sparse.
    After unpacking and a cuppa, we set off to explore town which we did by following the River Lym from the end of the entrance drive down into town - a 10 minute walk. We walked down the high street and to the sea front, following the prom round to The Cobb, made famous as a location in films, most notably the French Lieutenant’s Woman. The weather was grey, blowy with intermittent drizzle. Although this didn’t feel too bad along the front, the wind was battering big waves up and over the outer wall of the Cobb and it certainly didn’t feel safe, or even possible, to walk along the top of the wall.
    We made a mental note of various eateries that displayed vegan food on their menus before heading back via Tesco Extra to the annexe for supper.
    When we sat down to watch some tv, we couldn’t seem to get any picture at all so messaged Georgina who said she was out and would send her dad to have a look. He appeared quickly expressing no confidence that he would able to help but more by luck than judgement, managed to do so. He explained that Georgina is his daughter and the annexe is her business although he and his wife own the property, as she is saving money to move to Exeter in September.
    Read more