Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 43–45

    Purnululu NP and the Bungle Bungles

    May 3 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 31 °C

    We arrived at our Spring Creek camp with an afternoon to spare, so Timo, Emily and Nina whipped up some damper dough while Josh and Andrea set about making a fire and we spent the afternoon munching on damper, roasting marshmallows and enjoying some much needed R&R.

    The following morning we were up early to take on the 53km 4WD track into Purnululu National Park, our most adventurous 4WDing to date, including 54 river and creek crossings - 108 if you count both directions! The 1.5 bumpy hours were well worth it, for the beautiful scenery en route and because Purnululu really is special place.

    Once in, our first stop was the Bungle Bungle Range down the southern end of the park, made up of incredible orange and black striped domes, some reaching 200m above sea level. The sandstone domes are actually white, but get their orange colour from iron oxide and black colour from cyanobacterium coverings. After doing the walk into Cathedral Gorge, a huge cave nestled within the domes, we jumped back into the car to explore the northern end of the park. We were surprised at the stark difference in landscape in this area, with its palm trees and impressive Echinda Chasm, a narrow walkway through a cleft with rock walls on either side reaching 180m directly upwards.
    Read more