Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 45–47

    Gibb River Road from the East

    May 5 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 33 °C

    We continued through the Kimberley, enjoying the beautiful scenery along the Great Northern Highway, and passing Warmun Community where we had hoped to visit the art centre (recommended by Maartje), but found it unfortunately closed as it was Sunday. After dropping off our caravan at a beautiful bush campground run by the Wuggubun Aboriginal Community, it was then off to the Gibb River Road, along the scenic Cockburn Range, to see the Pentecost River crossing, the most famous on the Gibb. We would have loved to watch some cars as they crossed, but unfortunately the water was still too high after the late rains and the crossing was still closed.

    We kicked off the next day with a walk through rainforest-like Livistona Palms to get to Zebedee Springs, a series of warm rock pools connected by small waterfalls and fed by a thermal spring. We could easily have soaked in the warm water all day, but begrudgingly forced ourselves out to explore Amalia Gorge, where the water was colder, but the rock pool had an exciting rock jump that Timo and Josh had loved.

    The much anticipated Emma Gorge was our last hike (rock scramble) of the day, where we admired the sheer cliffs and had a great time being absolutely hammered by water as we swam under the 35m high waterfall in the cold gorge pool! It was also exciting to discover a warmer part of the pool, where a some hot spring water flowed through a crack in the gorge wall. All in all, quite the adventure for our last full day in Western Australia.
    Read more