Satellite
  • Day 96

    White Sandy Beach

    July 7, 2017 in Fiji ⋅ ☀️ 26 °C

    We were greeted at White Sandy by the traditional music, singing and a big Bula! We were shown to our accommodation which has to be the worst yet. Our bathroom smells like a public toilet and doesn't even have a sink. It's gross! After dropping our bags we sat down for a tasty lunch of rice and vegetables. The portions aren't very big here so I think Simon may be hungry.

    We decided to save our snorkelling trip till the next day so we had a lazy afternoon on the beach.

    Dinner was another Fiji themed night like the one in Wayalailai. This time however they went one step further and not only did we eat with our fingers but also on the floor. The food was again lovo cooked (underground) but it was very tasty. There were a few things however that weren't quite to my taste. The first of which were the sea grapes. They are green slimy seaweed type things that you can see when you go snorkelling as they grow on the reef. It's quite an acquired taste almost like pickles but with salt water filled bubbles when you bite into them. I also wasn't particularly keen on the muscles, if that was even what they were.

    Dinner was followed by some good old Fijian entertainment. To start with, the staff performed a selection of dances and songs for us and then we had to join in. The dance was similar to the Macarena style dance we did on Wayalailai with a twist. After the dances we played games. The second one was a bit strange. You had two circles of people, one inside the other and you had to walk around in opposite directions until the music stopped. When the music stopped, someone shouted out two body parts, for example nose to bum (yes that actually happened) and the person in the inside circle had to put their nose on someone in the outside circles bum. They were like an extreme type of getting to know you games. I did manage to win this one though!
    Read more