Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 97

    Day 2 - White Sandy Beach

    July 8, 2017 in Fiji ⋅ ☀️ 28 °C

    At the sound of the mornings drum roll we woke up and headed to breakfast.

    After breakfast we were meant to be swimming with manta rays, an activity we had both been looking forward to, however the mantas hadn't been seen for over a month. We heard a few stories as to why they weren't there, one being the warm water stream they followed not being here yet and another that Australian scientists had disturbed them whilst trying to electronically tag them. Mantas are supposedly very sensitive and intelligent animals so if they feel threatened they will leave an area and not come back. Because of this we just drove out to a nearby reef and snorkelled there. It was incredible to see all the life and fish down there. Our guide at one point just handed Blake a giant blue starfish and we were even face to face with some unwanted jellyfish at some points!

    We had no time limit (Fiji time) on this activity so we were in the reef for quite a while before hopping in the boat and driving back to our island. We got back shortly before lunch where we had vegetable fried rice. It was super yummy but the portion size here is disappointing.

    For the afternoon we did a mixture of sunbathing, hammock chilling and reading/listening to podcasts.

    Dinner was a bit more chilled and we were able to use cutlery to eat our three courses tonight. There is no TV in this resort so after dinner I headed over to the neighbouring resort with a few others to watch the last Lions test. Disappointing result but a tie is better than a loss!
    Read more