Satellite
  • Day 167

    Kuranda

    September 16, 2017 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 25 °C

    Last night we booked a day trip to Kuranda which is a rainforest village just North of Cairns and is famous for its markets. It was an early start (especially as it's so hard to get any sleep in this hostel as it is so noisy all the time) as the bus was picking us up at 8:30am.

    It took around an hour to get there once we had picked everyone up and the driver gave us lots of information about Kuranda on the way up the long and winding road to the village. When we arrived, we headed to the visitor information to check out what we could do for free. Armed with a map we headed off on a walk through the rainforest and along the river. It was a nice easy walk and we even saw a couple of lizards and a wild turkey. After an hour of walking it was nearly lunchtime so we headed to the Rainforest Market in search of some food. We decided on some cheap and cheerful sushi before exploring the markets. The market was filled with lots of touristy tat, including a variety of things made out of crocodile and kangaroo. After the Rainforest Market, we headed to the Heritage Market for more of the same.

    By the time we had finished mooching, it wasn't long until the bus was picking us up so we sat in the sunshine (well I actually took a nap) until the bus arrived. In the evening, we cooked up some tuna pasta (oh how I love to be back on a travellers diet) and did a bit of planning for our next week of travelling up to Port Douglas and Cape Tribulation.
    Read more