Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 20

    Day 17 - North to Puerto Madryn

    January 15, 2019 in Argentina ⋅ ☀️ 86 °F

    We slept in somewhat (to 7:00, after several days getting up early for sights) and did breakfast. We're steaming north across the open Atlantic, making for tomorrow's port, Puerto Madryn.

    The cruise had two enrichment programs this morning. One was on seals and sea lions, how to distinguish them and where to find them. The other on what to do and see in Puerto Madryn. We had been disappointed that there weren't more programs earlier in the cruise and I turned in a comment from mentioning that. The programs were good and welcome.

    The weather was getting warmer and the seas quite calm as we continued north out in the Atlantic. We sat out on the very forward upper deck watching for whales. Many people had spotted them but we'd not. There was little wind and the sun was bright so it was actually hot sitting there. We spotted a couple of spouts a ways off but no sure sighting.

    Went for something light at the buffet. The buffet is always busy and interesting. Interesting for the food. The buffet has over a dozen serving tables and features a constantly changing selection of food. Some serving tables feature ethnic cuisine (American, Indian, Asian, Mexican, among them). There's a salad bar (or two), a bread table, and two beverage stations (coffee, tea, water and some juices). Although the buffet publishes hours for meals, in actuality, it's always open. As the staff clears out one meal serving, it is also laying out th the next. Even overnight, the beverage stations are open. The other interesting part of the buffet is the people. We almost always share a table and chat with those around us - most everyone is willing to chat. We've talked with folks from Sweden, South Africa, India. Poland, Chile, Argentina, Cananda, and more. Always interesting.

    The evening show was another high energy performance by the cruise's performance troupe. The did a Mozart-themed show with dance, singing, and acrobatics. It was sort of a fusion of Broadway meets Circque de Soleil. Very good, especially given the small stage.

    Another enjoyable dinner with our table mates and to bed.

    Tomorrow Puerto Madryn.
    Read more