Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8

    Day 7 - On to the Gaspe Pennisula

    September 30, 2023 in Canada ⋅ ☀️ 50 °F

    Left the hotel at 08:00 without checking out because the front desk wasn’t manned (or womanned, as the case may be). (Called back to the hotel later and verified they were OK with our checking out.) Stopped at the coffee shop for breakfast before heading back into Q. City. (We had to traverse the city to get to the south bank of the St Lawrence.) Safely through the city, we headed northeast on the A 20 freeway until we cleared the metro area then jumped over to the C 132. This two-lane scenic way follows the river more closely and passes through the towns and villages that the A 20 bypasses. The countryside is gently rolling valley bottom land; rich soil, moderate-sized farms, small repair shops and services. To the south, the diminishing Appalachian Mountains marched along heading towards the sea further out the Pennisula. We are beginning to see fall colors on the hillsides. They are spreading from single trees to whole groves and parcels.

    Passed through a series of saint-named places (St Jean, St Roch, St Pascual) and some native American-named places (Kamouraska, Rimouski – further north) as we headed for Riviere du Loup as our mid-day destination. Solid, single-family homes dotted the roadside with family-named farms setting back from it. Stopped at a three-story grist mill in St Roc des Aulnaies but didn’t go in. Continued to Riviere du Loup where we found the downtown Waterfalls Park and walked a bit there to the thundering of several falls churning down the rocks. Grabbed lunch at a fast-food place and continued north. Turned in at the Parc National du Bic. This smallish park encompassing a wooded, basalt outcropping next to the river has miles of well-maintained hiking and biking trails that follow the shore or cut cross country. A small display in a former barn told of the first family to live and work the land here. Marie and Bruce walked a short while on some of the paths before rejoining Gail and driving through the rest of the park. A short drive up the132 landed us in Rimouski and our overnight hotel, the St Germain. Checked in and left our bags in the small, modern, elegant hotel. Had dinner across the street at the Greek restaurant. Back to the room to relax and do this.

    A bit about finances. The Canadian dollar is currently worth about 75 US cents. So when the bill is C$ 50, that’s roughly US$ 37.50. Before coming, we got a small amount of cash but are paying practically everything with credit cards. It’s been hard to find an establishment that takes American Express but Visa and Master Card are widely accepted. Most places bring a portable, handheld charge and printing machine to the table and process the bill right there. But Taxes! All food and services have a 5% state tax and a 10% federal tax. That makes a dent. Even more, everybody expects a tip (15% is the recommended rate). So a lunch costing C$ 50, winds up costing about C$ 65.

    Having trouble loading pics from my phone so no pics, today.
    Read more