Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    Venice Day 3

    July 3, 2019 in Italy

    Started off our day with the wonderful breakfast at Hotel Ala!

    We headed off to the fish market, just to look at the fish for sale. There were some very cool things there!

    We then caught the vaporetto to Burano, where we took lots of pictures at the beautiful multi-colored houses! We looked through the lace shops, bakeries, and a balsamic vinegar stand, with cool painted bottles. We got lunch at a place called Primo, which was very good (Recommended to us by the vinegar guy). I got a crab pasta, even though it was pretty hot, and my parents just go small plates, prosciutto & melon and a caprese salad. We ended up buying a lace table runner for the dining room, and a cool silver fan with Burano stitched onto it. We also got some Burano cookies at a small bakery.

    We caught the next vaporetto to Murano. We explored the island for a little while, and got gelato at this cute little place called Cioccolato & Crema. My dad got this really good flavor that was some citrus type of mix (no one could remember the flavor). Almost ready to leave, we stopped into NAME glass factory to watch the masters blow glass, unaware of what was about to happen.

    Watching glass being blown and shaped is an amazing experience. We watched him carefully shape the molten glass, blowing it out into beautiful shapes. We watched him make vases, horses, and even blow out a big bubble just to shatter it, for dramatic effect, of course. I even got to help him create a spiral design on a vase. We then headed up to the gallery, where our guide, Fabrizio, showed us around, telling us about the glass trade. He said that unless they have very specific labeling, all of the glass is made in China, and the rest, made in a vague ‘Italy’. Unless it specifically says made in Murano, it is not made there (and even sometimes this isn’t true). We ended up buying to glass vases there, and got to take a picture with the master who made them, with the pieces. We ended up with a free glass horse, and pendant too. After all, it was very expensive. Along with this, since Fabrizio had to go home at the same time as us, we got a free private taxi ride, along with him and his daughter.

    As we were headed down to Cafe we heard the family behind us say something about Whitney from Dancing With The Stars. We turned around, and they told us she was waking with her husband up ahead. We followed them until the end of the block, and eventually gave up, only to realize that they were coming back our way, so I said her name, and asked for a picture. So, now I have a picture with Whitney Carson from DWTS!

    We then headed to the historic Cafe Florián for a snack. We got some Florian sandwiches, which while pretty basic, were very good. We got a cool looking strawberry and white chocolate cake! It was very cool and fancy to eat there, although everything was ridiculously overpriced.

    For dinner, at the same place as last night, the Ristorante Rafael, I had a pesto and seafood pasta dish, which was amazing. My dad had a truffle dish, which was the best out of three. My mom got the amazing gnocchi she had the night before again.

    Today was the best day so far. I got to help make glass, with a free water taxi back to Venice proper, along with getting a picture with Whitney from DWTS!
    Read more