Satellite
  • Day 4

    Off to Kangaroo Island

    October 29, 2006 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 64 °F

    I left Adelaide early this morning to catch a flight to Kingscote, on Kangaroo Island. The flight was quick, and it took no time to get in my rental. I was relieved to see it was an automatic, given it will take enough energy just to stay on the LEFT side of the road. As I begin my drive, I'm grateful I'm starting my driving here. There is no one on the roads. And I mean no one. Then I jump. I'm completely startled the first time I see a car driving the opposite direction on the "wrong" side of the road. Unfortunately, there are so few cars, I'm startled every time I see one. I have to constantly think, "Stay left, stay left."

    I first go to the Emu Ridge eucalyptus farms. Fascinating how they make the oil. Saw some emus, too. I see how the theory was developed wherein birds are direct descendants of dinosaurs. I buy some gifts and head for Clifford’s Bee farm. There's no big, red dog, but lots of bees. Of course I do a lot of sampling, and I walk away full. Did you know that the taste of the honey is dependent on the type of flower from which the bee receives the nectar. I bought two bottles to bring home, which taste completely different. I've never noticed. I tried to drive down to a bay, but the roads were too bad to tolerate, and I'm just not that excited about the view.

    I head west and stop at Seal Bay. Way cool. They take you right down to the sea lions and I took about 100 shots. And I thought the Alaskan bears were interesting. This was an incredible experience. Did you know that a female sea lion stays pregnant for 17 months?

    I tear myself away from Seal Bay and head to Flinders Chase Park. This is a national park and where I have decided to camp for the night. In the parking lot of the Visitors' Center I see my first wallaby. He (could be a she) is very cute and none too shy. I snap a few pictures and take off for the Remarkable Rocks. The ocean view is breathtaking on the way. The rocks are actually an old ball of lava that welled up and has been eroding ever since breaking the surface. They are very old and very dramatic, sitting on the cliffs overlooking a sparkling blue sea.

    I drive to the Admiral's Arch from the Rocks. I take a hike then swing around to see that I've just walked over a limestone bridge, under which I am now standing. The limestone seems to drip into the air, and New Zealand fur seals sunbathe on the other side of the hole. I notice the sun is starting to lower, so I drive to my camping spot. I've secured a tent spot in the "bush" at a place called Snake Lagoon. After pitching the tent, I have a thought: "Brenda Reece lived in Red Rock Ranch, thusly named because of Red Rocks. Regina Marette lived by Woodmoor Lake, named because of the water. And I'm staying at Snake Lagoon." OK, so that was a bad thought. I end up taking a walk and see two kangaroos. They are small here because this species can't get too big on a little island. The walk is nice, and I return to The Lagoon. I've renamed it.
    Read more