Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    Lions Rock

    December 26, 2023 in Sri Lanka ⋅ ⛅ 24 °C

    The palace itself must have been pretty impressive in its day from the size of it. It was built by King Kashyapa in the 5th century after he had usurped the throne by killing his father and banishing his brother, I think that’s how you did things back then!

    Prior to the King taking over it was a monastery and after his brother returned from India in 495AD to reclaim the throne it was returned to the Budhists before it was abandoned in the 14th century then it was ‘lost’ until it was rediscovered in 1831.

    Our guide explained they used to bring the King up on a carrier befitting a King with the tall man at the back and a short one in the front. How they scaled the sheer cliff faces at all let alone carrying a King was beyond us!

    The entrance is called Lions Gate with the rock face resembling a Lion face and Lion paws were carved out of the rock either side of a grand staircase.

    We saw where the two main castles were, the swimming pool and two small pools.Then the auditorium and the dance floor laid out in front of the royal throne that also looked out towards where the sun rise is. This palace was used for 6 months a year when it wasn’t rainy season with another Palace for the other 6 months.

    Our guide was eager to get us back because there were plenty of people waiting so Dad decided to pay him out so we weren’t rushed. Coming back down was via the caves and Stanley was very pleased to see examples of ancient Sri Lankan porn on the walls! The wall of mirrors was another highlight, though it obviously needed a bright sun, extra polish and some reflection off the rock to work.

    On our way we were seduced by a local carver with his hidden lock box and an elephant carver. We paid about 6 times what the opening offer was from the salesmen at the gate. An early lesson in bartering learnt!
    Read more