Satellite
  • Day 588

    Steelhorse Christmas

    December 25, 2017 in Colombia ⋅ ⛅ 21 °C

    Steelhorse Finlandia is a new overlander spot being set up by a 30 year old British lass, Yvette, escaping from the London rat race. It's a gorgeous finca (farm) set in the glorious coffee region, and a perfect spot for Xmas.

    We were joined by a bunch of other travellers: fellow Brits Marcus and Julie in their beast of a truck, KP & Taylor from Oregon in their pop up truck slide-in camper, Felipe & Gabriella from Brazil in their beautiful new but old looking VW westie and crazy Brit Ben overlanding in a TVR! There was another half dozen vans of various shapes and sizes as well.

    Yvette laid on meals and activities so it was a really nice change from life on the road. We finally got to play Teco, which involves lobbing metal discs at a hoop of metal embedded in clay, hoping to set off the wraps of gun powder. On Xmas eve the Europeans celebrate so we joined in with the big BBQ, but not the 4am partying in the town! Christmas day was a nice lazy and overindulgent affair, as it should be! We found an amazing English-made cranberry and brie pie - super expensive but unlike anything we've had since we've been on the road so well worth it. There was a full traditional roast later on, and we ended up playing card games. I even managed to make a pretty decent fudge, despite having to improvise on a few ingredients.

    On boxing day we arranged a TVR vs a horse race - a bizarre spectacle but a lot of fun. The following day everyone packed up and set off in their different directions, but hopefully we will bump into our new friends again soon.

    Of course we would rather be at home with friends and family but for a Xmas on the road it was as near to a traditional one as you are likely to find abroad.
    Read more