Satellite
  • Day 774

    Footy, Footy, Footy

    June 29, 2018 in Argentina ⋅ ⛅ 4 °C

    After Bariloche we headed back to Angostura where we crossed the border, as its a much smaller town and way more RV friendly. Plus there's loads of great bars to watch the World Cup.

    The last Argentinan game was a shocking performance, but this time they pulled off an unlikely winner and the bar we were in went crazy and the streets soon filled up with singing & flag waving fans, despite the fact it was lashing it down. There was a little less atmosphere for the England game, but the way the lads are performing we made enough noise to make up for it.

    So we spent a happy week and half, eating and drinking! A humongous steak and sides only costs about $13, and if we weren't stuffing ourselves we were enjoying a bottle of red (under 10 bucks) watching a game.

    We did venture north through what is meant to be some of the most beautiful landscape in the continent, but the weather was pretty awful and thick snow clouds blocked all the amazing views. After a few days exploring we slunk back to the bars and the footy with our tail a little between our legs.

    We made the right move coming back into Argentina and enjoying our wealth again (the dollar rate has gone from 25 to 29 in the 2 weeks we were gone!). I was definitely missing mates with the fever pitch of 'football coming home' but we were in the right place to enjoy the football spectacular.

    Time closing in, as was the weather, and we had to get back on the west side of the Andes. Snow came down pretty thick that night and in the morning we got to use our expensively acquired snow chains for the first time (in my life). They provided quite a bit of extra security when driving up the Argentinan side, but as soon as we saw the 'Welcome To Chile' sign the road was completely cleared.
    Read more