Satellite
  • Day 3

    Chipping Campden, June 1

    June 1, 2018 in England ⋅ ⛅ 16 °C

    Great to get a full night's sleep. Breakfast was a full English and very filling. Enjoyed conversation with a gentleman from the Bath area who was also walking The Cotswold Way so he shared a few tips and places to see in Bath. He was walking it in seven days which includes a couple of 20 mile days...more power to him.

    After breakfast we strolled to the tourist information center, purchasing a Campden walking tour guide, and headed out to see the sights which included the Church of Saint James, the "official " beginning of The Cotswold Way and other local sights. We initially walked to the Cotswold Olimpick Games location, on Dover's Hill. We decided to check out the sights this am and not get caught up in the crowds that are beginning to build in Campden.

    Ran into a gentleman who was finishing The Cotswold Way and he said the trail was tough from Broadway. Our task tomorrow, I guess, and we are just beginning. He walked in the reverse direction thus the trail markers point both ways so the trick is not to get confused about the direction of travel. Arlene has the guide book so if we get lost, well then...

    After walking around, we decided to relax and get ready for the first of our walks tomorrow. Arlene packed, and repacked, until she got it right while I just made sure I was not going to leave something behind. Brought back memories of the Camino days when all went into the pack, post haste.

    Dinner was at Eight Bells and they had Scrumpy Cider.

    Sure packs a wallop, it does. I recall seeing an episode of Rick Steves' travels where he met the man who made Scrumpy Cider and they had a laugh while enjoying a mug. "Came from me grandfather's recipe" he said, and not bad at all. Anyway, we had fish and chips, and finished the entree with, guess what, another sticky toffee pudding. It really is not a puddimg, but a light cake with toffee sauce and a scoop of vanilla ice cream. What a meal!

    The pictures: the altar in St. James, the arched pass-through in a coffee shop on High Street, an old car and a kids slide at the Olimpicks site, and two pics of High Street.

    Thought we could stay awake until after the fireworks and parade, but no. Still very light at 9:35, but we are going dark. Tomorrow, our first ten miler.
    Read more