Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    Chipping Campden to Stanton, June 2

    June 2, 2018 in England ⋅ ⛅ 19 °C

    Let's start with last night. Wow! After turning out the lights, the fireworks began and lasted for 15 minutes. We had a ringside seat from our room and captured a few pictures of the display. Then the bands started to play and walked, or did they march, the 3/4 mile with about two to three thousand party animals behind them. They came in two waves and marched right by our room to the town square where the stage was set, the barbecue was hot and the beer was cold. Quite a sight!

    Some time later (we were getting no, and I do mean no, sleep), the party, or celebration, was over and the happy folks started to go home with loud talk and laughter, the cars racing along the narrow street, and horns telling all that no sleep is possible until later.

    Then at four, daybreak. Quite a night and with a 10 miler today.

    Well, we finally got some rest, but I woke up at 0400 due to the morning light and the chirping birds. Had to close the windows.

    Breakfast was delicious and very filling...similar to yesterday, a full English. We left about 0900 and enjoyed the coolness of the morning, albeit a bit muggy (but no rain). Climbed a hill leaving Campden, then it leveled out with outstanding views and we motored along seeing Broadway Tower ahead, then the long downhill to the village of Broadway where we had coffee and scones. It was similar to Campden and the yellowish sandstone buildings made for a very pretty main street. After leaving Broadway, we had to enter a field through a kissing gate (yes, you read it correctly and you are supposed to kiss the person you are walking with so we have fun with that). At the gate, there was a sheep blocking the gate and I was determined not to kiss that thing, but to move him along. Stubborn sheep, would not move so I climbed the fence, then Arlene did the same, versus dealing with a smelly sheep. Anyway, we finally entered the trail and ran into a gentleman who told us the story of the Lancaster bomber crash near the Broadway Tower during WWII. He said that the last remaining bomber that was flight ready was to make a fly-by as this was a day of celebration of the valor of those killed in the crash. We were hoping to see the fly-by, but perhaps it did not take off. Anyway, we continued uphill (long uphill too) until it started down again and we found the B & B for tonight, The Shenberrow Hill. In years past, it was the site of an Iron Age hill fort. Digs uncovered relics of the past...pieces of pottery, bronze bracelets, and bone needles (bet they came from walkers picking their teeth after feasting on wooly mammoth meat at a local pub).

    We arrived around 1530, assigned to a second floor room, and I lugged 200 pounds of luggage up the turning staircase. Nice to sit for a spell (tough day), and get cleaned up before dinner at the Mount Inn Pub. They have toothpicks made of bone :).

    The meal was outstanding. We started with a salmon cake that was out of this world, then fish and chips. We both had huge pieces of fish leaving no room for sticky toffee. Oh well, we will eat less tomorrow and save room for dessert.

    Lights out now...more tomorrow from the trail.
    Read more