Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 13

    Dursley to Wotton-under-Edge, June 11

    June 11, 2018 in England ⋅ ☀️ 21 °C

    A very nice breakfast, a very nice host, and two other guests enjoying a 40th high school reunion.

    A most enjoyable way to travel in England as we've met the nicest people and received much appreciated assistance. Today was no exception.

    After breakfast, and after lugging the kitchen sink down stairs, we left with a full stomach and headed uphill (we are always walking uphill, or so it seems) towards Stinchcombe Hill and the golf course. A tough uphill walk on a full stomach. *#@$##. At the top, we ran into a ladies foursome ready to tee off, but they detected a non-British accent and chatted with us for a bit, then we walked off to see the sights. A long downhill opened into a series of fields where we could see Tyndale Monument, erected to honor William Tyndale who translated the bible into English. A long pull to climb up the hill, but before we did that, another story.

    We were walking into North Nibley reading the guidebook which said to walk along The Street. That caught us by surprise...the street? What was the name of the street that we were walking along? Cannot believe the street sign that we soon passed as it was indeed, "The Street". With all the locations in England and all the famous people over the years...to call it The Street! Such modesty.

    Anyway, we were looking for a coffee and scone cafe, the Black Horse B & B was mentioned in the book, but it was closed. Bummer twice over!

    While discussing our predicament, a young man was making deliveries and Arlene asked if he knew of a coffee shop that would be open. He replied yes, that he worked at the Nibley House and he said to walk back the way we had come and at a corner, to make a left, then go by the nursery and knock on the kitchen door. He mentioned a name, but I cannot remember. Anyway, we briefly discussed not walking back, but decided to give it a try. I knocked on the kitchen door (I would call it a back door), an elderly lady came to the door and I relayed the story. She looked pleased and invited us to have a seat at the outside table, enjoy the view and she would brew us a pot. She ran a B & B so it was not quite like knocking on a private home door.

    We had an entertaining conversation and learned that she had lived there for 55 years and her husband had been there longer. We were invited in to have a look and received the royal treatment. This was special! The house was rebuilt in 1763 so you get an idea as to its age.

    Afterwards, we walked down the road to St. Martin Church which dated to the 15th century (and it needed some TLC).

    We carried on and climbed the hill to see Tyndale Monument. Quite a view from the top, then along a reasonably flat stretch meeting four folks out walking the dogs. They asked us about Trump, how concerned they were and we shared our concerns as well. No guns were drawn so we felt safe to be Americans :)

    Our way continued through the wood passing the Brackenbury Ditches (an old fort dating to the Iron Age), fields and distant views, then down the trail passing Wolton Hill, a commemorative circle of trees now called the Jubilee Plantation which provided more outstanding views of Wotton-under-Edge.

    Once we got into the village, we were discussing the directions to the B & B when our host drives up and asks us if we wanted a lift. "Sure do" was our response.

    We got there, were shown around, offered fruitcake and beverage and told to make ourselves at home.

    We did!

    We later walked into town to the tourist info center, got the story on the large painted hares (rabbits to us), checked out an ice cream shop, the alms house, and visited the church of Saint Mary the Virgin.

    We are tired and looking forward to a nice meal provided by our hostess.

    And a very good and special meal it was as we had dinner with our hosts. Conversation was interesting and we had a most enjoyable time.

    Tomorrow is the longest walk...13 miles so we are winding down.
    Read more