Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Nazareth, the Boyhood Home of Jesus

    May 11, 2019 in Israel ⋅ ⛅ 70 °F

    The Village of Nazareth is a replica/re-enactment of a first-century farm and village. Located in Nazareth, the Nazareth Village features a carefully researched re-creation of Jesus' hometown. Nazareth is in the inheritance of Issachar. Originally a working farm, the village has been restored with olive trees, terraces, ancient wine press, irrigation systems, and stone quarry. Exact replicas of first-century houses, synagogue, and olive presses have been carefully built using the same methods that would have been used by Joseph the carpenter. The scenes were brought to life as “villagers” populate the farm and houses, living and working with the same type of clothing, pottery, tools and methods that Mary and Joseph would have used.
    Hyssop was used during the first Passover in Exodus 22:12. Moses was selected by God to rescue the Israelites who were captives, out of Egypt. God sent nine plagues on Egypt and each time Moses said the Lord says "Let my people go" but each time Pharaoh said no. The 10th plague the Lord sent to Egypt, was the death of the firstborn males of every household. The only way to escape this plague was if the door frame of the house was covered with the blood of an unblemished lamb. The Jews dipped hyssop in the blood and applied it to their door frames. The Lord "passed over" the Jewish homes with the blood on the door frames and spared their firstborn son. The next morning there was great mourning in Egypt as their firstborn sons, including the firstborn male livestock, were dead. Pharaoh finally conceded and told the Israelites they could leave, though soon after he changed his mind and chased them into the Red Sea. The Lord parted the Red Sea for the Israelites to escape but caused the water to come crashing down on the Egyptians and they were killed.
    Hyssop is a common plant of the mint family. Because of its stiff branches and hairy leaves, it served well for sprinkling. In addition to the Passover, it was also used in the purifying of lepers (Lev. 14:2-7) the cleansing of a plague (Lev. 14:49-52) and the sacrificing of the red heifer (Num. 19:2-6).
    Read more