Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 82

    Runde Island

    June 23, 2023 in Norway ⋅ ☁️ 12 °C

    After a couple of dull days dodging weather in one of Norways weirdest out of the way towns. We made a plan to go to Runde Island. Famous for its Puffins and other cliff dwelling birds. The weather wasn’t perfect, But the passage was short although included 2 rocky wriggles and a bridge 2 metres higher than out mast. As always the wind was on the nose but sailable out of the harbour. And then behind the beam 25 kts plus for the bridge section. By the time we reached Runde which is a narrow stone built breakwater with only room for 2 yachts it was gusting nearly thirty. We had to hold onto the sails right until the entrance. Just t o stay on our coarse. Through the front door of the harbour, quick left turn. Bugger there’s already a yacht on the pontoon. I think there’s enough room, so straight in without fenders and only a centre mooring line. We could not of held our position with just engine so it was best to get tied on and sort the mess after.

    Rain turned up as we tidied up the boat. So we stayed on board for a cupper before togging up for a bird search. We walked to the other end of the island and 3/4 of the way up the cliffs when the big rainstorm arrived. WE quit without seeing a puffin.
    Read more