Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 242

    Las Palmas

    November 30, 2023 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 23 °C

    What can I say, If you are looking for adventure and out there places. This would be about the most disappointing place to start. Firstly we called the marina for a birth. They said no space go to the anchorage. As always we ignored them and snuck in in the dark, found ourselves a spot and started conversations with the locals who lent us an access card so we could go for a much needed beer after 7 days at sea. So far so good.
    We got woken up by the Marina security telling us to go to the anchorage then come back in our dinghy to register. What a pain. Again we ignored them and went to register without moving. There was a queue which took us an our of waiting in the sun to get to the front of. Most people were cheerful but there were some notable exceptions.. everyone was told there’s no room at the in go to the anchorage. And were put on the waiting list which was 2 months long!!!. We registered and moved to the anchorage .

    Next into town for some shopping and spy where the best beers are. We were here to pick up Spoons who was coming on the onward journey. And re stock with food etc and even do the final maintenance list before we are on the start line for the big trip. Best have a beer and think about it.

    Nicks on the shopping, so I’m on the maintenance list.
    New ropes for Diedrie as the originals were rubbish
    AIS was causing an earth leak find and fix.
    Buy and fit new connections for auto helm.
    And at the last moment the generator has spat out its dummy.

    We are far enough south that we should be solidly in the trade winds which should push us south and west. But unbelievable we have south and South west wind forecasts to for the next few days. More weather bad luck for us. Luckily it seems we cant remember all the shopping in just one visits so we get to go multiple times.
    OK time to go to the bar with our new 20 something Cornish mates. Who have bought Nicholson 32 with no sailing experience and were heading across the Atlantic. Having started in Falmouth a month before. We had a great night and I hope they are ok. They have a boat that only carries 70 litres of fuel and 100 litres of water they have plans to carry extra..
    The 1st of December wind looks good, lets get going. Shame about the generator.!
    Read more