Satellite
  • Day 6

    Barcelona, Spain

    May 6, 2017 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 19 °C

    It was a beautiful day in Barcelona, so I decided to have a walk off the ship.
    We where docked as usual at the Adossat Quay terminal A, and although the walk into the city is not that far, I opted for the very reasonable €4 return on the local bus. The bus drops you off right by the Christopher Columbus at the bottom of La Rambla.
    But instead of the usual walk up La Rambla, which I've done many times, I decided to have a walk along the harbour front up to Port Vell, which took me past the Maremagnum shopping centre and up to Port Vell and the aquarium.
    I then crossed over to the Passeig de Colom, which is the wide tree lined boulevard running from the Columbus monument to Port Villa, and headed back in the direction of the cruise port.
    That whole area of the city is called the Gothic Quarter, and is very interesting with its narrow winding streets, where the balconies above look as if you could reach across and shake your neighbours hand, they are that close.
    Anyway when I finally reached the Columbus monument, I noticed that the military barracks just by the monument had an exhibition on and best of all it was free entry.
    It was interesting and passed half an hour or so.
    Then it was back on the bus and back to the ship, after a very pleasant couple of hours in Barcelona.
    Read more