Satellite
  • Day 5

    Naples, Italy

    September 21, 2017 in Italy ⋅ ☀️ 21 °C

    Today we docked in Naples, Italy 🇮🇹.
    Last time I was here, I went to the left from the port and visited the Castle Nuovo, and then had a stroll and found a beautiful church and a very interesting museum.
    This time I decided to go right. I had looked on Google maps, and there was something called the Penne Palace, which conjured up thoughts of Napoli in times gone by, with beautiful ornate buildings.
    I should have known better, this was modern day Naples, and what I found was a very run down building, which looked nothing like a palace at all.
    Having said that, you could see that it was a beautiful building in its day, and could be beautiful again, with some restoration.
    Next to the palace was an old church, again very run down the front door was open, so, I poked my head inside, and it appeared to be getting used by students having an art class.
    Around the corner I came across another church, and in this one the university was holding a graduation ceremony, with the students wearing mortar boards and being presented with certificates.
    After that I had a walk around the back streets, which brought to mind the Peter Sarstedt song, "Where do you go to my lovely" where he sings about the girl being brought up on the back streets of Naples.
    Then having had my fill of neapolitan culture, I headed back to the ship for lunch.
    Read more