Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 12

    First time in the USA and Buffalo Wings

    October 1, 2017 in the United States ⋅ 🌙 11 °C

    Prior to leaving Canada, we made a brief stop at the Niagara Duty Free shops and purchased some Iced Wine before crossing the border to the USA. There in the border, we were asked to alight from the vehicle and enter the immigration building where we spent about half an hour queueing and then paid $6 for our passports to be stamped. It was a confronting experience, as all the officers seem poised for any trouble that might happen anytime, as they should.

    Then Tito Paler very graciously drove us out to Sleep Inn Suites near Buffalo Niagara International airport where we will be spending the night. It was a 45 minute drive, and the stark contrast between the touristy Niagara and the sleepy Buffalo was unmistakable. It felt surreal to be amongst the classic American country town houses as we drove past them when before I only saw them in movies and TV shows. Also, all sorts of Halloween related decorations were displayed in their verandahs. Some of them even had the American flag flapping in the wind.

    After checking in and leaving our baggages at our accommodation, Tita Diosy and Tito Paler did something even more generous. They offered to take us to a local restaurant to have some Buffalo Chicken Wings. Truly it was a real treat and Tito Paler and Tita Diosy have been very kind to spend extra time with us, considering they are so far away from home and the full day they already allotted with us.

    We only had the mild medium but we still found it a bit hot. We bonded over the experience and laughed when we replied 'no' when our waitress asked if we were alright.

    Finally, when the time came, Mom and Tita Diosy exchanged warm tight hugs as once more they had to part. Hopefully their next reunion won't be too far away.
    Read more