Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 18

    Day 18🇧🇪🇳🇱

    August 7, 2022 in Greece ⋅ ☀️ 31 °C

    So today is a special day. It’s our last day travelling and we wanted to make the most of it.
    We woke up in Antwerp and walked to the train station in the cold so we could catch the train to Amsterdam. We are flying out of Amsterdam to Athens at 16:40. We arrived in Amsterdam at 10:00, left our luggage in a locker in the train station and started walking around town. There were a few souvenirs we wanted to buy for some friends and family, and I also wanted to go to the cheese Deli we visited on Friday and buy cheese for my dad😋. So that’s what we did.
    After a while, Lampros had talked to a friend from Greece who lives in Amsterdam, Dimitris and they arranged for a quick coffee together. It was super nice to meet him, he talked to us about life in the Netherlands and how he also loves mountains and expeditions like Lampros. Maybe we see them together up a mountain on day🤔🤫!
    After saying goodbye to Dimitris, we had booked tickets for the Van Gogh museum at 12:45 (I know, risky time for a museum and arriving at the airport in time). We sort of rushed through the exhibition, but I sort of already knew which paintings I wanted to see so I didn’t really mind (although I always take HOURS in museums this was an exception). We saw the famous bedroom, the sunflowers, the almond blossom and read about Van Gogh’s life and troubled mind. Even though he was such a troubled personality his paintings feel so happy and vibrant.
    After the museum we were running to the train station so we can arrive on time at the airport. We couldn’t figure out the metro tickets but in the end everything went okay. Arriving at the station we ran to our locker, put our rucksacks on and rushed to the nearest train that left for the airport. This part was a disaster…two trains that were going to the airport had been canceled , and after sitting in one that was suppose to leave they announced us that that one wasn’t leaving either due to a broken part. The time was passing so we had to cross a lot of platforms to get to the next train…that eventually left the station and went to the airport. Arriving at the airport was super confusing - it’s such a big airport and we were desperately looking for our desk to check in our rucksacks. Eventually we found that as well, but the time was already 15:00 and we were suppose to be boarding at 16:00😬.
    We quickly ran to a security line and thankfully the time estimated for that was around 15-20 minutes. When we were through security, we started feeling a bit more calm. We found our gate, sat there and waited to be boarded. Boarding was late for about 40 minutes, the flight was fine and arriving to Athens was only 15 minutes late.
    We were a bit worried our luggage wouldn’t have got here since everyone these days looses or had delayed suitcases, but thankfully that worked out as well. My mum was waiting for us outside, and my dad was in the car. We were super happy to see them, and we all went for a souvlaki on our way back.
    This trip taught us a lot of things, how to be more patient, how to respect each other needs and wants, not to stress over things you cannot change and to enjoy every single minute.
    Adios amigos, see you on the next adventure!
    Read more