Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 17

    Three Coins ๐Ÿช™ in the Fountain โ›ฒ๏ธ

    September 24, 2023 in Italy โ‹… ๐ŸŒ™ 20 ยฐC

    The last day in Italy ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡น started with a looooong 6 hour bus ๐ŸšŒ ride from Bari, where the ship ๐Ÿšข docked, to the ‘wonderful’ (๐Ÿ˜ณ๐Ÿคฅ) Papillo Hotel ๐Ÿจ outside of Rome…

    Most of us were able to have 2 seats ๐Ÿ’บ each and the bus was quite new & comfortable so it was not too arduous. Everyone was more subdued, quiet and reflective after the last three weeks of joyful holiday celebration.

    On arrival at the Papillo Hotel which, I can say, without a doubt, is the worst hotel I’ve ever stayed in in my entire life… (…And, that is honestly saying something!) It’s an absolute disgrace of a place which is the middle of nowhere… Anyway, I digress…

    We all decided that we would get ๐Ÿš• taxi’s into Rome, which is essentially a 40 minute drive from the hideous hotel ๐Ÿจ
    Picture this: eight hungry and tired travellers wandering aimlessly around the centre of Rome, trying to decide on somewhere to eat… It almost didn’t end well until we stumbled upon a very authentic Trattoria, which served the most exquisite, authentic and delicious ๐Ÿ˜‹ carbonara, tiramisu and jugs of house white wine ๐Ÿท and freshly baked bread with oil and balsamic vinegar… It was just what we all needed to perk us up and get us back in the mood to enjoy one final significant activity in Rome…

    Tossing 3 coins ๐Ÿช™ into the Trevi Fountain โ›ฒ๏ธ with the hopes to come back to Italy, fall in love or whatever each of us secretly wished for ๐Ÿ™

    The tradition, folklore, and history of how to toss a coin into the Trevi have not changed in all the hundreds of years that people have been doing it. A proper Trevi coin toss is done using your right hand to throw the coin over your left shoulder. Additionally, if you plan to throw a second and third coin into the fountain, each is to be tossed separately, not all at once. That means right hand over left shoulder three times with three individual coins to be married in Rome—after falling in love with a native, of course ๐Ÿ˜œ๐Ÿฅฐ๐Ÿ˜˜

    While there are surely lovers of Italy and lovers in general who will swear their wishes came true because of the coins they tossed into the Trevi Fountain, there’s no denying how much revenue from coin tosses have helped the city of Rome. An estimated 3,000 euros fly into the Trevi each day!

    The world-renowned Italian fountain takes in approximately 1,250,000 euros annually. While these large sums have attracted the eye of thieves throughout the ages, attempts at stealing from the Trevi โ›ฒ๏ธ have almost always been thwarted.

    As travelers pray for a promise to return to Rome someday, the city of Rome uses the money gathered at the Trevi to pay for the food and upkeep of a market for the area’s poorest inhabitants which is great ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป to know.

    There just happened to be somebody proposing at the exact spot we threw our coins into the fountain tonight so perhaps we had a hand in that love โค๏ธ match ๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿคท๐Ÿป‍โ™‚๏ธ

    Anyway, whether you believe or not one thing is for sure… We have had a fantastic time in Italy ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡น and it has delivered the promise of wonderful memories that will last a lifetime. That is something we know for sure and I no longer need to wish for…

    Ciao Bella… ๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿคโค๏ธ
    Read more